The High Museum was founded in 1905 and was then expanded by Richard Meier in 1983. To respond to the fast growth of its art collections and the increasing number of visitors, the museum decided on a new expansion programme, which would almost double the museum’s surface area, up to 312,000 sq ft.
The extension scheme of the High Museum of Art is composed of three new buildings: a main pavilion, a building for special collections, and a building for administrative offices. A public piazza links the different elements of the campus.
The theme of zenithal light is once again pursued through a grid of 1000 circular light scoops atop each building. The north facing skylights fill the gallery spaces with the required amount of light.